5.27.2013

David Hiltner on the Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast





This week on the Tales of a Red Clay Rambler Podcast I have an interview with ceramic artist David Hiltner. His functional pottery and sculpture references the farming landscapes of the midwestern United States. He says of his work "I am interested in rural landscapes, silos, rolling hills, and furrowed fields. The patterns, textures, and colors translated into the vessel are memories, moments, and thoughts frozen by fire. These vessels are created to celebrate the land that inspires and sustains me."



In the interview we talk about his recent exploration of corn as a symbol for commodization, his love of the great outdoors, and his experience founding the Red Lodge Clay Center. In 2005 he left his position as an Associate Professor at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas to create a full service clay center in Red Lodge Montana. The clay center has grown to include an artist-in-residence program, gallery, and community clay classes. For more information please visit www.redlodgeclaycenter.com

To subscribe to the Red Clay Rambler podcast on iTunes please click here. To add the podcast to your Stitcher Radio on Demand Playlist click here. You can also stream the latest episode on the podcast tab for this site. 




4 comments:

  1. I can really see the influence of David MacDonald in the pottery. Great interview, as always. Thanks Ben, can't wait for a summer full of MT clay interviews.
    mk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael, You are spot on about the David MacDonald influence. I enjoy both of their work and I had a great time interviewing Mr. Hiltner. I just made it Montana today so I'm looking forward to cranking up the ole' recorder for some new interviews.

      Hope you are doing well,
      Ben

      Delete
  2. I'm getting ready to listen to this one right now in my studio. The other day, I listened to your highlights wrap-up episode. Awesome! Thanks, Ben, for all these great interviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia,
      So glad to hear you have been enjoying the podcast. I've had a blast making them.

      Hope you are doing well,
      Ben

      Delete